Thursday, May 3, 2012

Still in Prison

These days I blog sporadically.
However, I write regularly in a diary.
It's been a year and a half and i love it. In a way, since everything goes into my diary, I do not feel the need, or the want at times, to blog. However, Baby Carrot's recent post about matching bloggers reminded me of the fun interactions with other bloggers. I was happy to be included, and since you have to earn your title as a blogger, I will try to write more often.

As you may know by now, I intern twice a week in a Prison. I rarely write about it (even in my diary) for I do not wish to be reminded of my days there. Clinically, it's a great experience and I don't regret it. But let me just say I'm glad it's almost over.

These days, I've been hearing the most outrageous and idiotic statements made by inmates such as: "I told her to abort because once you have my child, you have to carry all of them." Rational. Even more normal is the fact that he barely knows this girl, but has three kids with her. Perfect.

But today I was challenged with MY question. I was asked by an inmate, in fact by many during a group therapy session, what would my response to a criminal be if the guy were to tell me he is suicidal. Of course I answered professionally and ethically and proceeded to describe the suicide intervention procedures and the pain someone is in when they are feeling suicidal and why we breach confidentiality etc... However, they insisted on knowing my personal opinion, meaning do I believe the purpose of saving these guys.

It's something I myself used to question. I answered them, but I fear I wasn't a hundred per cent honest, perhaps because I'm not fully convince.
So let me ask you,

Why am I to encourage a person who has a life sentence or who has raped many children, to not kill themselves and help them to go on living?


6 comments:

  1. Because it is never too late to turn our lives around and each life is an entire world unto themselves. They can't undo the damage but they can build anew...

    You can tell them all you want but you have to believe it.

    Lehavdil, its like when you are speaking to children who have "learning disabilities" and you tell them that you think they are smart. If you do not actually believe what you are saying--they can see right through you. They notice how you look at them, treat them, and think of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. You never know what they might do later in life, that could make them worth living.

      Delete
    2. I agree with the believing aspect which is why i felt uncomfortable. But for some to build anew and to live with what they have done...

      Delete
    3. I get it YN--I don't know if you heard about the Aleph Institute, but you can have penpals in jail. I've done it for a bit with a friend of mine. One of the first penpals I had was in there for child sexual abuse. Once I found out, I couldn't continue writing to him. I couldn't touch the letter that he wrote with the same hands that he damaged children, repeatedly. So I totally get it. But then I look at another penpal, who is in there for drugs and some other stuff, and he is truly changing his life around. He is clean now, going to college online, and so forth. He is young still--he regrets everything and punishes himself all the time for it, but he can do great things and like I've told him, he can use his experiences to relate to others and help those who are in similar positions.

      Delete
    4. Very good question.
      Here's how I see it.
      Every persons life needs to be framed in a way that gives it meaning.
      This meaning is constantly changing to confirm with present reality.
      It could very well be that a person who is in jail for harming people can find meaning In the fact that the families get some satisfaction out of the fact that he's locked up for life.
      THAT can actually give meaning to life.

      Delete
  2. Je ne sais pas si tu as suivi les élections (oulala quel résultat horrible!), mais j'ai trouvé une photo drôle et j'ai pensé la partager!

    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/539986_10150754575495881_620400880_9764372_1206594523_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete