In my extreme kindness (or maybe stupidity), I offered a ride to whoever needed a lift.
I ended up taking two passengers thinking they would contribute to gas and tolls (They didn't)
A man and his wife, sat them in the back seat. But it wasn't enough.
The whole trip I had to:
- pretend I was laughing at jokes that weren't funny,
- pretend I understood his numerous Vorts explaining why women should be going to college in order to be able to support their husbands,
- pretend I knew why anger is the source of all depression,
- pretend I wasn't listening when they were arguing (making me feel really uncomfortable)
- pretend I didnt mind listening to Shlomo Carlebach music played in a tape recorder,
- pretend It was such a fun ride we should do it again after Shabbos!!!
But I am off to bed tonight feeling good about myself, how I survived it and how I handled it.
I did them a favor which was definitely not easy for me.
Perhaps I did just earn something nice, like a pass to heaven.....