Saturday, November 5, 2011

Good Actor vs. Good Looking

Discovered in 1989, Ryan Gosling has been appearing on TV shows and movies since the age of 9 years old. He played in The All New Mickey Mouseyoung herculesBreaker highThe Slaughter RuleRemember the TitansMurder by Number and The Believer.

Yet, it was not till he played in The Notebook (2004) and that he won the dubious honor of being named one of the hottest 50 bachelors by People Magazine that he became oh so popular. More significantly, he was named the Male Star of tomorrow at the 2004 Show West convention of movie exhibitor. (Whatever that  is, quoted from IMBD). Still quoting, "Gosling reached the summit of his profession with hid performance in Half Nelson 2006 which garnered him an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. In a short time, he has established himself as one of the finest actors of his generation".



  •  Ryan Gosling has won the heart of many Americans, undoubtedly females, by his droopy eyes, his charming face and his good looks. He might be cute and handsome, but why is it that he is appearing on every moving that is coming out nowadays? Since 2010, he has starred in 5 movies and is in the mist of 4 others to be released in 2012 and 2013.                
  •   My roommate and I today were discussing it and when I brought up the fact that Ryan Gosling always plays similar parts in his movies, she said that just means that is what he does. Have you forgotten what acting means?? Acting involves being able to put on any role, not simply the one that suits your look and personality best. Take Johnny Depp or Leonardo DiCaprio, their acting history is so diverse, it deserves to be complimented. They are good actors and perhaps good looking too, depending on your taste. They are by no means comparable to Ryan Gosling whom if you ask me, has nothing special other than his droopy eyes that look like he is bored at all time and by thus bores me. 

  •   So no, I am choosing to go see Anonymous or The Three Musketeers which has castles, knights and big dresses over Ides of March which has an actor I am so not into. Let me know if its a wrong decision. 



10 comments:

  1. Sort of on topic, I was on the same flight as him from somewhere (cant remember from where) to LA. Going to baggage claim, you take an escalator a floor down, so ur pretty much dropping out of the middle of the ceiling. I was standing in front of him, the second my feet became visible cameras started flashing, etc. a bunch of paparazzi were standing taking photos. i was completely lost for the first second, then i was like "oh ya, theyre here for the guy behind me" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. im surprised he was stam just behind you. And btw, how did you come out on people's magazine??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why shouldnt he have been? Its not like all actors own private jets / charter planes everywhere.

    :) Pretty good. Once they had the pic of me they figured they may as well not even bother posting the pictures of him...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get the Gosling-love either. I find him whiny and annoying. And I never saw "The Notebook." He makes a good serial killer, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. but he never gets those roles...
    Actually i was surprised to see that Orlando Blum played the bad guy in the three musketeers, thats unusual

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was a murderer in "All Good Things." Perfectly cast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do understand the Gosling-love, purely because I think he's attractive and charming. Do I think he's a good actor? Yes, but I'm already biased in his favor; we all magnify the good qualities of those we like! Your problem with him is that you're not attracted to(possibly even repulsed by?) him. Personally, I don't find L.D. attractive, so I don't think of him as an incredible actor. I don't feel stupid placing so much emphasis on Ryan's (yes, first name basis ; ;) ) charm, it makes me human.

    This can sort of be applied to your bad boy situation: I don't know enough about that to give you advice, but your desire to see a changed man is a natural response...and maybe he is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @anon: I am not attracted to Leonardo Di Caprio either, I don't think he is specifically good looking but I like him because he is a good actor and not the other way around
    I totally understand why girls love Ryan Gosling's charm but personally, i'm much more of a go for the buff guys, not the ones with the droopy eyes :)
    ps: I doubt that he is...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You Sharing These Types Of Wonderful Discussions. In Addition, The Ideal Travel Along With Medical Insurance Approach Can Often Relieve Those Worries That Come With Touring Abroad. The Medical Crisis Can Soon Become Extremely Expensive And That's Sure To Quickly Slam A Financial Impediment On The Family's Finances. Putting In Place The Excellent Travel Insurance Program Prior To Leaving Is Worth The Time And Effort. taruhan bola kita Thanks A Lot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank You Sharing These Types Of Wonderful Discussions. In Addition, The Ideal Travel Along With Medical Insurance Approach Can Often Relieve Those Worries That Come With Touring Abroad. The Medical Crisis Can Soon Become Extremely Expensive And That's Sure To Quickly Slam A Financial Impediment On The Family's Finances. Putting In Place The Excellent Travel Insurance Program Prior To Leaving Is Worth The Time And Effort. taruhan bola kita Thanks A Lot

    ReplyDelete